Special to The Message
Due to the challenges presented by the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, the Evansville District Council of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul will hold its 2020 Friends of the Poor® Walk as a virtual event. The Society is encouraging all those who have supported the walk in previous years – and everyone else – to walk a mile in support, solidarity and friendship of the poor in our local communities.
The Friends of the Poor® Virtual Walk will be Sept. 26.
Since this is the Evansville District Council’s first year having the walk “virtually,” here is a quick checklist to make it easy!
- Register for the walk online at https://www.svdpevansville.org/walk-for-the-poor/. You can also register the morning of the walk at our designated locations.
- Collect donations of personal-care items for all ethnic groups, as well as laundry goods. These items will help us to create donation packages for those in need in our community.
- Visit the Evansville State Hospital Grounds, SVdP Thrift Store or SVdP Food Pantry from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. CDT on Sept. 26 to complete your registration if you did not do so online, drop off any donations you collected and pick up your goodie bag.
- Please be sure to note your Parish on your registration form so that the money you raised can be donated back to your conference.
- Join the virtual community and be sure to snap a selfie while walking to share with SDvP on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/svdpevansville)! Download and print our Virtual Walk Poster (web address below) to include in the photo!
The Friends of the Poor® Walk began as a national program with the purpose of providing local Society of St. Vincent de Paul Conferences and Councils the additional funds to help support their special projects. Today, this philosophy and tradition continues in Evansville! Proceeds from the Friends of the Poor Walk provide direct emergency assistance for clients of the Evansville District Council of The St. Vincent de Paul Society
You can get involved starting now by visiting https://www.svdpevansville.org/walk-for-the-poor/ and:
Downloading the Virtual Walk Poster, then snapping a selfie with it while on your walk to share on Facebook