Special to The Message
Twelve Daughters of Charity who reside and serve in Evansville are celebrating a jubilee this year. There was a July 7 celebration Mass and luncheon in honor of the anniversaries of the Daughters of Charity at Seton Residence.
The Daughters of Charity have ministered in the Diocese of Evansville for more than 140 years. The sisters minister in healthcare, child care, parish ministry, spiritual advising, religious education, prayer ministry, retreat ministry and volunteering.
The Daughters of Charity is a worldwide congregation of about 17,000. They were founded in 1633 in Paris, France, inspired by the Gospel vision of St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac. In the 19th century, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton founded a community of Sisters in the United States who later joined the Daughters of Charity.
The charism of the Daughters of Charity is to serve Christ in persons who are poor.
Sister Marion Brett entered the congregation June 5, 1960.
Sister Teresita Heenan entered the congregation June 5, 1960.
Sister Dinah White entered the congregation Sept. 8, 1961.
60-year Jubilarians for Daughters at Mater Dei Residence
Sister Ann Marie Butler entered the congregation June 4, 1961
Sister Marie Judith Haupt entered the congregation June 4, 1961
Sister Joan Pytlik entered the congregation Sept. 8, 1961.
Sister Maria Liebeck entered the congregation Aug. 9, 1950.
Sister Catherine Kline entered the congregation Sept. 26, 1951.
Sister Patricia Elder entered the congregation Oct. 25, 1950.
Sister Thérèse Noble entered the congregation Oct. 25, 1950.
Sister Mary John Tintea entered the congregation Dec. 30, 1951.
Sister Gertrude Levy entered the congregation Oct. 13, 1936.