By The Message staff
The staff of WTJW 93.1 FM, the Catholic radio station in Jasper, had great plans to celebrate its 5th anniversary this fall – before COVID-19.
So, they celebrated on the air!
On Oct. 4, WTJW broadcast an appreciation celebration throughout the day. The station interrupted its normal programming schedule to talk with special guests and share listener feedback about Catholic radio.
In preparation for the latter, the station mailed letters to listeners across its over-the-air broadcast coverage map, encouraging them to respond with an answer to a basic question: “What does Catholic radio mean to me?”
Following are just a handful of the many responses the station received:
- “Catholic radio has so many interesting programs and offers a unique perspective. It also offers an opportunity to listen to the Mass, pray the rosary and the chaplet of the Divine Mercy. As a lifelong Catholic, I find I am always learning something new. Catholic radio is a place to grow your faith as well as see current events from a Catholic viewpoint."
- "WTJW has given me: Education in my faith, increased spirituality, encouragement and inspiration. My favorites are the Rosary, Catholic Answers Live and The Sonrise Morning Show."
- "Thank you for a ‘Ray of Light’ on the airwaves generally filled with darkness. I have turned to Catholic radio to escape the constant garbage of (COVID-19) and ‘Election Madness’ on the secular media. I have found so much peace. Thank you, God, for this Blessing!"
- "WTJW has brought me joy and strength to tackle the challenges of life ahead. Thank you for spreading the word."
- "It often seems when I have a question about a particular teaching of the Church, I will turn on EWTN Catholic radio 93.1 FM and the moderator is addressing – at that very moment – the exact question I was having. I believe God works through the airways of 93.1 FM in miraculous ways. I particularly learn from people who call in with questions on the various programs. It spreads grace into the heart as it enlightens the mind to God's Truths as taught (by) the Catholic Church."
Since going on the air more than five years ago, WTJW has improved its over-the-air reach by upgrading equipment, and it has expanded its reach literally to everywhere there is an internet connection through online streaming. Highlights:
New Antenna – The station upgraded from a single-bay to a dual-bay antenna in September 2019. This improved WTJW’s over-the-air signal all over the greater Dubois County area, but in particular in the Ferdinand area.
Streaming – Anyone with an internet connection, including cell phone capability, can access WTJW 93.1 FM via streaming 24/7/365. Visit tunein.com or download the TuneIn app from your preferred app store and enter WTJW in the search bar – or you can go to simpleradio.com to get their free app, then enter WTJW in the search bar.
WTJW continues to broadcast EWTN Radio programming, as well as announcements related to area Catholic parish events and Catholic organization activities. For more information, visit https://wtjwradio.com/ or tune in!