Catholic Center conference rooms renamed

Special to The Message

Three conference rooms on the first floor of the Diocese of Evansville Catholic Center have been renamed in honor and memory of three Catholic pioneers in Indiana who have close connections to the Diocese and who have either been canonized or are in a stage of the canonization process.

In announcing the changes, Chancellor Dean Happe explained that the move reflects Bishop Joseph M. Siegel’s vision to highlight the rich Catholic heritage of Southwest Indiana and invite our people to look to the intercession and example of these holy ones who went before us.  It is also part of the continued enhancement of the Catholic Center facility for the benefit of the many diocesan and community groups that use the meeting spaces through the year as well as those who work in the building.

Dean also thanked Joel Padgett, Director of the Diocesan Office of Catechesis, for his input regarding the renaming effort.

Conference Room A has been renamed The Bentivoglio Room in honor and memory of Venerable Poor ClareMother Mary Magdalen Bentivoglio, P.C. (1834-1905), the foundress of the Monastery of St. Clare in Evansville. Mother Mary Magdalen also established Poor Clare monasteries in Nebraska and Louisiana after coming to America from Italy in the 1870s.  Her body is interred in St. Joseph Cemetery in Evansville.

Conference Room B has been renamed The Bruté Room in honor and memory of Servant of God Bishop Simon Bruté (1779-1839), the first Bishop of the Diocese of Vincennes. The body of Bishop Bruté is buried in the crypt of the Minor Basilica of St. Francis Xavier in Vincennes. 

The Assembly Room has been renamed The Guerin Room in honor and memory of St. Mother Theodore Guerin (1798-1856), foundress of the Sisters of Providence in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, near Terre Haute.  Mother Guerin also pioneered Catholic education in the Diocese of Vincennes and established multiple schools in Indiana, including in Vincennes, Jasper and Evansville.  Her tomb and shrine are located at St. Mary-of-the-Woods.  

Signage reflecting the new names and pictures of those being honored are already in place.